Miss one of our live events? Catch the on-demand: CLICK HERE.
Treasurer’s Symposium on COVID, Women, & the Economy
June 4 @ 9:00 AM - 1:00 PM
Unlike most previous economic crises, the fallout from the COVID-19 pandemic has disproportionately affected women, driving millions out of the workforce at much higher rates than men. The large-scale displacement of women in the workforce has driven up the demand for social services and economic aid and created ripple effects that will be felt for years to come.
Women have been forced to sacrifice employment in order to shoulder the weight of tending to children in a remote learning environment and caring for the needs of other loved ones. What does this mean for the many women struggling to return to the workforce now or in the near future? How has this economic crisis affected the decades-long struggle for pay equity? How do we help women and their families weather the pandemic in the immediacy and what types of systemic changes are needed to better support women economically moving forward?
The New Jersey State Treasurer’s Office is hosting a symposium on the morning of June 4, 2021, on the impact COVID-19 has had on women and the economy. The half-day event will bring together leading economists, academics, and policy movers and shakers on two separate panels designed to size up the landscape and present solutions on what New Jersey – and the nation – can do to better support women in the workforce in order to build a stronger economy for all. The event will also highlight stories from real women in New Jersey who have been impacted by the pandemic and provide valuable resources for women of all socio-economic backgrounds.
- New Jersey Treasurer Elizabeth Maher Muoio
- Gov. Phil Murphy and NJ First Lady Tammy Murphy
- Lt. Gov. Sheila Oliver
- Reshma Saujani, Girls Who Code and the Marshall Plan for Moms
- Assemblywoman Eliana Pintor-Marin
- Zakiya Smith-Ellis, Chief Policy Advisor to Gov. Phil Murphy
- Emily Martin, National Women’s Law Center
- Elyse Shaw, Institute for Women’s Policy Research
- Yana Rodgers, Director, Rutgers University Center for Women and Work
- Jessica Gonzales, CEO, InCharge
- Lesley Hirsch, Assistant Commissioner of Research and Information, New Jersey Department of Labor and Workforce Development
- Louise Wiengrod, Vice President of Global Taxation, Johnson & Johnson
An Invitation From Treasurer Muoio inviting you to attend the event.
Do you have an event you’d like listed?
Click below to submit the details of your event.